Made with fresh Italian herbs and spices, this Tomato Tortellini Soup will become one of your favorite soups.
I grew up eating tomato soup along with grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch and dinner. Not all the time, just those special occasions when it was cold and rainy out or when I was under the weather and all snuggled up under a blanket, my mom would always make me tomato soup.
So you can see why tomato soup is one of my favorite comfort foods.
That is, until this Tomato Tortellini Soup.
This soup combines the tomatoey goodness that we’ve all come to love from our tomato soups with cheese filled tortellini pasta, cannellini beans, spinach, fresh thyme, oregano, and basil.
That’s it! Well, besides salt and pepper.
The recipe calls for one teaspoon of sea salt. If you’re like me, you might taste test the soup as your cooking it to see if you need to add anymore spices, or salt and pepper.
When I tried this soup before adding the spinach and tortellini, I thought it was too salty. But something inside told me to wait until it was done cooking to see if it was still too salty. Boy, am I glad I did.
The other ingredients blended nicely with the salt as it cooked, correcting the saltiness. The result was a rich tomato soup with the perfect blending of flavors.
This Tomato Tortellini Soup is simple to make and just simply delicious!
If you’re hurried, you can make it in under an hour.
But I like my soups to simmer for a few hours so all the ingredients can marry. Plus I love the way it smells up your home! One of the reasons I love cooking with my slow cooker.
If you’re feeling especially energetic, you can make homemade bread for the full Italian feeling. Those are my homemade baguettes in the photo. They’re simple to make too.
I’ve seen where others have added half a cup of sour cream to make it a creamy tomato soup. I haven’t tried this yet, but I will definitely give it a try next time I make this soup. If you try it with the sour cream, please let me know how it turns out.
Serve this soup as an appetizer to your main meal or maybe as a meal in itself with some grilled cheese sandwiches.
This Tomato Tortellini Soup is an easy one pot, meatless meal made with tomatoes, fresh Italian herbs, cannellini beans, spinach, and cheesy tortellini.
- 3 - 15.5 ounce cans cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 - 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 - 32 ounce boxes vegetable broth
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs of fresh oregano
- 10 ounces fresh spinach
- 2- 9 ounce packages 3 cheese tortellini
- Salt & pepper to taste, if needed
- Lightly coat inside of slow cooker with olive oil.
- Add all ingredients into slow cooker Except spinach and tortellini.
- Cover and set on High to cook for 2 to 3 hours. Or you can place on Low setting and cook 4 to 6 hours.
- About 20 minutes before soup is done, add in fresh spinach and tortellini. Simmer for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- If needed, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with freshly shredded parmesan cheese over the top.
- If rushed for time, you can prepare this soup in 1 hour. I prefer to cook my soups a little longer because the flavors of the ingredients have time to cook and marry.
- Don't forget to remove the stems from the thyme and oregano before serving.
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.